Dual boot Mac OS 9

Celena
1 MB
Dual boot Mac OS 9

Post by Celena » October 10th, 2019, 11:43 pm

i am currently using a macbook which is running osx 10.4 (tiger) i think.
but i have an external piece of hardware (mixing desk) that i wish to connect to my macbook,but when i inserted the installation disk,and tried to install, i got an error message.
apparently the hardware device can only be used on the mac OS/9.2 platform!

ive been doing alot of reading about possibly setting up a 'DUAL BOOT'so my macbook can access either the osx or 9.2 operating system. the question is how do i get hold of this??..and furthermore ive seen loads of adverts on sites for OS/9.2.1 & OS/9.2.2..??but not OS/9.2!i realise that the first two are latter versions of the original,but will they work as the manual states 9.2??
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: Dual boot Mac OS 9

Post by Turboladdade » October 11th, 2019, 8:25 am

It is not possible to dual boot any MacBook with Mac OS 9, this is only possible on earlier PowerBooks with PowerPC chips. Are you by chance using a PowerBook as opposed to a MacBook?
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
rosso
16 MB

Post by rosso » October 26th, 2019, 9:15 am

I was going to post an image here showing My PPC MacBook running Tiger with Mac Classic (Mac OS9) as a guide, with some notes to help ... but 'img' posts aren't allowed.

Is this right Admin?

Just an inquiry - not a complaint.
Tiger+Classic / Snow Leopard / El Capitan - Previously; Mac System 7.5.5 - BeOS something, I forget now on a Beige 9600 with MacOS 8 although it took a bit of tweeking...
rosso
16 MB

Post by rosso » October 27th, 2019, 7:18 am

Here we go - (I added this picture via the boards Attachment feature) - If you have Tiger you can run Classic and that should be what you need to run your Mac OS9 application.
Attachments
Mac Classic Start Up copy 2.jpg
Tiger+Classic / Snow Leopard / El Capitan - Previously; Mac System 7.5.5 - BeOS something, I forget now on a Beige 9600 with MacOS 8 although it took a bit of tweeking...
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » October 29th, 2019, 9:17 am

Just to be clear, there is no such thing as a PowerPC MacBook. These would be PowerBooks.

After re-reading the OP's post several times, it sounds like he's saying he installed 9.2.1 or 9.2.2, but specifically needs 9.2(.0) for some reason. I'm not sure this is going to be possible, but you can download 9.2 installer disk image here. This will require burning and "blessing" which is a difficult process on modern systems. TBH I don't quite remember how to do it, sad to say. I believe you need Toast or something.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
rosso
16 MB

Post by rosso » October 29th, 2019, 1:28 pm

You are quite correct. I have a PowerBook G4 - An error on my part due to running a range of old Macintosh Laptops and mistyping the model.

Oh, well. Lets hope he figures it out.