Eee to Mac Networking

Turboladdade
1024 MB
Eee to Mac Networking

Post by Turboladdade » September 8th, 2008, 10:06 am

I have little to no knowledge or understanding of how Linux works. I've recently gotten an Eee PC to tote around when I'm away from my Mac Pro desktop, and it is way cool. But I'm not exactly sure where to begin when it comes to networking? I'd like to access my Mac Pro files on the Eee while I'm on the road. Any help would be much appreciated.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
wove
16 MB

Re: Eee to Mac Networking

Post by wove » September 8th, 2008, 7:32 pm

I do not know which variant of Linux is installed on those machines, so specifics are hard to list.

Generally you want to turn on Window's sharing in your Mac Perfs and do the same in the Linux Machine. How easy that is to do on the Linux machine depends mostly on the distribution. With Ubuntu it is as easy to do as it is with OS X. Other distros may be harder. I think you will find it similar to the Mac in that you will need to turn on sharing then make sure the firewall is set to allow that type of communication. Once that is done it should be no different than sharing a Mac and Window's PC.

bill
--
\/\/i||i@m ()\/e
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » September 8th, 2008, 7:34 pm

Thanks

Eees come standard with Xandros, which is what I'm using now. I'll look into Windows networking, although I don't really understand how those networks work or how (if) they are different than Mac networks.

I presume if I enable a Windows sharing on my Mac, then I'd just follow the instructions for Windows networking on the Eee?
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
wove
16 MB

Post by wove » September 9th, 2008, 8:59 am

Window's sharing is awkwardly odd compared to sharing on the Mac. In my experience once setup, sharing the non-Mac machine from the Mac is not much different than sharing another Mac. However, Windows/Linux seems as difficult and odd everytime you make the connection. It is easiest on the Windows/Linux machine if you create an alias/symlink on the desktop. That way future connections go much faster.

If you are looking to just transfer files, you can setup ftp services a bit more quickly

bill
--
\/\/i||i@m ()\/e